Current Show

    • High Mountain Hoedown

      Friday 7:00 am - 8:00 am

Next Show

    • High Mountain Hoedown

      Friday 7:00 am - 8:00 am

    • Route 96 Roadhouse

      Friday 8:00 am - 10:00 am

Good morning Custer County, everyone who can pick up our signal this morning, and streaming listeners worldwide – I’m Sandi and this is the KLZR Wet Mountain Wake Up Call for Friday, June 25th, 2021.

It looks like we could get some relief from the heat and even some rain this weekend and into the first part of next week.

 

The National Weather Service says it will be partly sunny today with a chance of rain showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning, then thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Highs in the lower to mid-70s and a 60% chance of precipitation. There is a 40% chance of thunderstorms and lows are to be in the lower to mid-40s.

On Saturday, we have an 80% chance of precipitation dropping to 70% overnight. Rain showers are likely with a chance of thunderstorms in the morning, then periods of rain showers with thunderstorms likely in the afternoon through midnight, turning to a chance of thunderstorms after midnight. Daytime highs in the lower to mid-60s and overnight lows of 40 to 45.

Sunday, expect periods of showers with thunderstorms likely, and highs in the mid to upper 50s! The chance of precipitation is 80%, dropping to 70% Sunday night when showers are likely and there is a chance of thunderstorms. Overnight lows of 37 to 42.

 

Can’t help wondering if we’ll get another one of our late-June freezes.

 

There are 7 active wildfires in the state, the nearest being the Sylvan Fire in Eagle County. It is currently at 3,668 acres with no containment yet.

 

According to the Custer County Public Health Agency and The Colorado Department of Health’s ArcGIS database, Custer County has had 224 positive COVID cases over the course of the pandemic with 3 new cases in the last 7 days.

 

Although there are no current cases of the Delta variant in Custer County, the CDPHE said in a press release issued yesterday that the proportion of Colorado cases due to the Delta variant is now estimated to be greater than 50%.

 

The Custer County Schools track team had their first day at the State Competition yesterday with great results. Kaydin took 10th in the 100 hurdles and 14th in the triple jump, Jonah won 14th in the 400, and Micah is State Champion for the 3200m race.

 

This is the last weekend of the Sangres Art Guild Calendar Show at the 3rd Street Gallery. Intake for the July Art Show is Sunday and Monday, June 27th and 28th. The show will be juried by Westcliffe’s own award-winning artist, Sarah Woods. There will be cash prizes for 1st place, 2nd Place and the People’s Choice award. The show runs July 1 – July 26, with the Opening Reception on July 3rd. You can find the call to artists on sangresartguild.org. For questions, call Terri at 719-331-2164 or Angie at 719-783-2099.

 

If you haven’t heard this week’s Valley Views, you can still catch it 10am tomorrow, right here on KLZR. This week Gary talks with Dick Jones on his personal look at history of Wet Mountain Valley. If you want to hear it right now, head on over to our website www.klzr.org where you can stream this week’s episode and check out past episodes. KLZR.org is updated every Tuesday morning with the current week’s Valley Views.

 

 

On the Community Calendar for Friday, June 25th through Sunday June 27th

 

Friday morning from 10am – 1pm you can practice reading or enjoy a story with certified therapy dog, Josey. At the West Custer Library. For more information call Youth Services Librarian, Angela McCaffery, at 783-9138 ext. 4 or email angela@westcusterlibrary.org.

 

At 10:30 the Party People will be performing one of their famous magic shows at Hermit Park. For more information, call Angela at the library at 783-9138 ext. 4 or email angela@westcusterlibrary.org.

 

The 16th Annual Sangres Art Guild Calendar Show is on display at the 3rd Street Gallery at 59000 North HWY 69 in Westcliffe. The gallery is open from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm, Thursday through Monday, and the show runs through June 28th.

 

From 12 to 5:30, on Friday, anyone 11 years old and up can play Dungeons and Dragons – The Curse of Strand – at the West Custer Library. Snacks will be provided. For more information call Angela at the library at 719-783-9138 x4.

 

You can have your unneeded paperwork shredded by Mobile Record Shredders at the Custer County School’s west side parking lot from 10am to 1pm Friday. Sustainable Ways-High Country Recycling is accepting donations to offset the cost. For more information email highcountryreccling@gmail.com or go to www.mobilerecordshredders.com.

 

There will be curbside food distribution at the Sharing Center, located at 120 N. 3rd St. in Westcliffe, on Friday from Noon to 3:00 PM. For more information, or to volunteer, call 719-783-2994.

 

There will be an Alcoholics Anonymous Open meeting Friday tonight at 6 pm at St. Luke’s Church in Westcliffe. For more information call Barry at 719-783-0466.

 

On Saturday, The Deer Mountain Fire Department is holding a yard sale from 8am to 12pm at the firehouse located at 6181 Copper Gulch Road in Cotopaxi.

 

There is a Farmer’s Market Saturday morning at 10:00 a.m. It is held outdoors at the Sangre de Cristo Wellness Center at 500 Rosita Street, in Westcliffe.

The Sangres Art Guild Art Camp Reception, featuring artwork created by the Art Camp Students, ages 7-12, takes place on Saturday from Noon – 5:00, at Greenstone Artworks, 100 Main Street. Refreshments provided. Art Camp is supported by Rebecca’s Fund.

Sunday from 11am to 2:30pm is the Custer County Kids Council Family Fun Day at the Jess Price Memorial Park in Westcliffe. Enjoy food, games. Music. and face painting. Family Fun Day is free to attend.

 

Intake for the Sangres Art Guild July Show is Sunday and Monday from 11am to 4pm, at the 3rd Street Gallery at 59000 North HWY 69 in Westcliffe. For more information call Terri at 719-331-2164 or Angie at 719-783-2099.

 

On Sunday at 2:00 pm enjoy donation-based yoga class in the West Custer County Library Community Room. The classes are led by Terri Rowenhorst and Judy DeHaven, both certified yoga teachers.  The two instructors have more than 20 years of experience. Classes are sponsored by Westcliffe Community Yoga and the West Custer County Library, donations collected benefit the West Custer County Library and partners.

 

That’s all for today’s KLZR Wet Mountain Wake up Call. We’re on at 7, 8, 9, and 11 am every weekday or you can stream the Wake Up Call anytime of day directly from our website. Our scripts are posted to our website and our Facebook page.

 

To let us know about events, birthdays, Lost and Found pets, job listings and other community information, email us at wakeup@klzr.org. Non-profit events should be sent to calendar@klzr.org.

 

I’m Sandi. TC will bring you the Wakeup Call on Monday, and she’ll be in at 10:00 this morning to entertain you for a full two hours on Friday at the Coffeehouse, and at 4:00 Bob Siefert helps you roll into the weekend with the Friday Weekend Kickoff…Have a great weekend.